Reopening of Mass
Procedures for Attending Mass
Since the weekend of May 23-24, 2020 under the direction of the Public Health Minister, the Archdiocese of Vancouver began with the celebration of public Masses with a limited number of 50 people. As soon as I received the news and guidelines from the Archbishop, I organized with volunteers to open our parish for public Masses. I am so glad to see how the parishioners are responding to the call to register to attend Sundays Masses! I have continued to live stream the 10:00 am and 11:30 am Masses until it is safe for everyone to come back to Holy Mass.
We do not expect all of our parishioners to come back to Mass immediately, please do so as you feel comfortable and continue to observe the guidance of our Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. If you have a history of health concerns, we encourage you to have a discussion with your own doctor to see what his/her opinion is about coming back to church. Know that as you return, you do so at your own risk.
All the faithful of our diocese remain dispensed from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass. We will continue to live stream the English mass on Sunday at 10:00 am and Portuguese mass on Sunday at 11:30 am.
Please do not come to church if you are feeling ill or if you are not comfortable attending. If you are sick and/or have any cough, fever, runny nose, sore throat, diarrhea and/or vomiting signs and symptoms please stay home. If you have been in contact with anyone with potential or confirmed COVID, stay home and isolate.
If you decide to return to Sunday masses, please follow the procedures below:
- Call the Parish office at 604- 879-0729 to register your name and choose the mass you would like to attend. As no more than 50 people can attend we may need to rotate people, alternating them every other Sunday. You will receive a phone call back only if we need to make any changes.
- Enter the church using the side door only.
- Follow the instructions of the ushers.
- Maintain social distancing.
- If you come to church too early on Sunday, you may have to wait outside the door until the church has been cleaned. Please wait following the designated markings for physical distancing.
- If you are not registered for Sunday mass do not come to church as you will not be able to attend.
- If you want to attend a mass during the week you don’t need to register, but will be asked to sign the attendance book when you come.
- When you attend mass the Ushers will check you in at the door, sanitize your hands, and you will be seated only in the designated pews.
- The church needs to be cleaned between masses; please leave mass promptly after the final blessing.
- Be on time. Before the Mass begins, our ushers will lock the doors and join the congregation to participate in the Eucharist.
- If you wish to talk to other people after Mass, kindly move away from the church doors and definitely keep in mind the social distancing requirements.
- We do not want to create the image that there is a big gathering of people in our parking lot, please leave promptly.
- Washrooms are closed; only available in an emergency. We are not able to clean and sanitize it after each use. Those with little children and individuals needing to use the bathroom frequently should, perhaps, postpone the decision to attend church at this time.
Receiving of Communion: Please remain seated moving close to the aisle as Father will come to you to offer the Eucharist. At the point of receiving the Eucharist, you will be asked to outstretch your arms hands to receive the host in your hands.
Resources for your reference and support:
Archdiocese information and guidelines/resources for COVID-19 response: https://rcav.org/coronavirus/
BC Centre of Disease Control (BCCDC) website for general information to the public and reflects the direction of the Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19